The Government of Liberia values investors and aims to protect their rights.
The Government of Liberia has recently approved a new investment incentive code and a new revenue code. Revisions to the Revenue Code have lowered the maximum corporate and personal tax rate from 35 percent to 25 percent. Liberia’s Investment Act of 2010 ensures the following:
- National treatment of foreign investors
- Guarantee against expropriation without fair and adequate compensation
- Repatriation of income, capital gains, and dividends
- Protection against retroactive application of adverse laws
- Intellectual Property Rights protection
Additionally, Liberia is founded on democratic principles with a judicial system that is capable of handling investment disputes in a fair and equitable manner. The commercial courts offer an additional avenue for the expedition of commercial cases.
The country is a member of The International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) and is a signatory to the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA) Convention that guarantees the protection of foreign investments.